Pacific Great Eastern Railway

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Pacific Great Eastern Railway

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Pacific Great Eastern Railway was incorporated in 1912. The PGE, which took over the Howe Sound and Northern Railway, attracted a large part of the original investment from the Great Eastern Railway interests in England. Timothy Foley, Patrick Welsh, and John Stewart contracted to build the line from North Vancouver via Squamish and Quesnel to link up with the Grand Trunk Pacific in Prince George by July 1915. In 1914 regular service was inaugurated between North Vancouver and Whytecliffe. In 1918 the Provincial Government took over the stock and operation of the line. In November 1928 service on the North Shore was discontinued but the Railway's right of way was not relinquished. In 1956 the new North Vancouver-Squamish line was completed and opened. In 1972, the name was changed to British Columbia Railway.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places