In 1885, missionary John Endicott Gardner began sheltering Chinese women and girls working as prostitutes in Victoria. Gardner received support for this work from the Rev. J.E. Starr, a local Methodist minister. In 1888, a home on Cormorant Street was purchased, and the Chinese Girls’ Rescue Home officially opened. At Starr’s urging, the Woman’s Missionary Society (WMS) at Pandora Avenue (later Metropolitan) Methodist Church became involved. By 1890, the home’s main priority shifted to providing refuge for Asian domestic servants suffering enslavement and abuse. In 1908, the WMS opened a newly constructed facility, and the name of the home was changed to the Oriental Home and School. It offered shelter and Christian education for Chinese and Japanese women and girls. The United Church continued to operate the home after Church Union in 1925. The evacuation of Japanese Canadians from the coast during the Second World War brought an abrupt end to the home in 1942. Japanese residents were relocated to a WMS home at Assiniboia, Saskatchewan. The WMS purchased a smaller home on Pembroke Street for the remaining Chinese women, and it became known as a Chinese Christian community centre.