The Womens Institute in Canada was founded in 1897 in Stony Creek Ontario. In 1909 several womens groups in B.C. began to organize into the North Vancouver Island Womens Institute (NVIWI). The NVIWI included 20 groups: from Courtenay (1911) Parksville (1915) Denman Island (1919) Quadra Island (1920) Hornby Island (1921) Lazo (1921) Sayward (1922) Whaletown (1922) Qualicum Beach (1925) Lasqueti (1937) Bella Bella (1940) Bow-Horne (1947) Gabriola (1947) Little Qualicum (1948) Kla-Anch (1949) Englewood (1950) Woss Lake (1950) Dove Creek (1951) Campbell River (1955) and Newcastle (1958). The NVIWIs motto is For home and Country.;Locally the Lazo WI met in a hall on Knight Road in Comox, on a property donated by the Knight family. When the WI sold the property, part of the proceeds ($90,000) went to North Island College in May 2003 to fund endowment awards. The Lazo Womens Institute is still in existence with 4 members.