Type of entity
Authorized form of name
North Okanagan Creamery Association fonds
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
NOCA (the North Okanagan Creamery Association) was a dairy co-operative, and later a dairy brand, in the North Okanagan from 1916 to 1982. The dairy industry began in the North Okanaganwhen the first creamery was established in Armstrong in 1900. NOCA was formally established in May of 1916 when the Armstrong creamery was re-organized as a co-operative to collect milk from dairy farms from Mara Lake southwards to Vernon. The headquarters was in Armstrong, and the first board of directors was made up of: W.H. Keary, A. Morgan, T. Skyrme, Chas. Patten, RJ Coulthard, and M. Hassen. NOCA ran into difficulties in the early 1920’s and in 1925 its members voted to sell to P. Burns and Co.. On July 1 1925 this sale went through, and NOCA became the Okanagan Valley Co-operative Creamery Association (though the NOCA brand name was still used). Everard Clarke was brought in as the manager, and remained in this position until 1970. In 1927 NOCA began to publish a monthly newsletter titled The Cream Collector. NOCA later also published NOCA Farm News and the NOCA Pictorial.
More changes came to the organization in 1947. NOCA merged with the Salmon Arm Creamery and officially changed its name to the Shuswap Okanagan Dairy Industries Co-operative Association (SODICA). Once again, the NOCA brand name was still used. In the following decades SODICA expanded its operations in the North Okanagan and outwards to the Kamloops area. In 1952 their plant in Kelowna opened, and in 1967 a new plant in Vernon opened.
In response to the dairy industry moving towards larger conglomerate companies, SODICA merged with the Fraser Valley Milk Producer’s Association in April 1982. At this point the NOCA brand switched to FVMPA’s brand Dairyland. In 1992 the FVMPA became Dairyworld after a merger with two Alberta co-operatives, and in 2001 Dairyworld was bought by Saputo. In 1996 the Vernon plant was closed and production was moved to the upgraded Armstrong facility.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
February 9, 2018