Fonds - Nanaimo Rotary Club No. 689 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Rotary Club No. 689 fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920-2002 (Creation)
    Creator
    Rotary International. Nanaimo Rotary Club No. 689

Physical description area

Physical description

.825 m of textual records;314 photographs;1 videocassette

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1920, George Pearson and 23 other local businessmen started the Rotary Club in Nanaimo. Pearson was the first President and James Galbraith was the first Secretary. After Galbraith, in 1920, M.C. (Charlie) Ironside took became Secretary and continued in that capacity for 26 years. One of the earliest projects of the club, beyond fund-raising for the Christmas Cheer Fund, was the development of a children's beach at the foot of Townsite Road. In 1924, the Nanaimo Club cooperated with the Victoria Club to replace a wooden water trough at the north end of the Malahat Drive. The Club also organized the Upper Island Music Festival, participated in building the Franklyn Street gym, and spearheaded fund-raising for the completion of the Nanaimo General Hospital on Kennedy Street, in which they furnished and decorated two wards. The Rotary Club has continued its support of the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital to the present time. It was also instrumental in the creation of "Goodwill Enterprises," a Wheel Chair Park, the Boy Scout Hall in Gyro Park, the development of Bowen Park, the Rotary Bowl, and the "Gateway to Nanaimo," which includes a time capsule. The Rotary have also been involved with children's projects such as The Boys and Girls Club, the Ice Carnivals, a BMX track, and student exchange programs. In addition, the club has provided services internationally in such projects as Operation Eyesight.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consist of the governance records and publications of the Nanaimo Rotary Club. Fonds is arranged in nine series: 1) Membership/Bylaws; 2) Minutes; 3) Correspondence; 4) Financial Records; 5) History; 6) Community Projects; 7) Photographs; 8) Miscellaneous and 9) Publications.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-268

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area