Fonds - Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1957-2003 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron

Physical description area

Physical description

95 cm of textual records;14 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron was conceived in 1956 when a few boaters, mostly Nanaimo Yacht Club members, enquired about boating courses offered in Vancouver by an organization named the Canadian Power Squadron. With the help of Vancouver Power Squadron members, a class was organized in Nanaimo for that winter, with local Master Mariner Captain "Bert" Davis as the first instructor. With 15 people passing the exam in the spring of 1957, the possibility of forming a Power Squadron in Nanaimo was examined. After a successful application, the official launch took place April 12, 1957, with Nanaimo becoming the first Power Squadron on Vancouver Island and the third in B.C. By 1959, Nanaimo Squadron membership had grown to 35 and four new Power Squadrons had been established on Vancouver Island. By the end of 1960, Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron membership reached 70 and that year the Squadron set up the markers for a measured mile in Northumberland Channel. The next year, Nanaimo Squadron's The Lubber Line newsletter was started by Howard Tyrrell. By 1967, membership was 101. In 1975, the Nanaimo Squadron burgee was adopted as designed by Eric and Loralee Chamberlain. It is a depiction of the manned (1923-1986) Gallows Point Lighthouse on a blue background with a red stripe representing the bright red wooden walkway between the lighthouse and shore that existed at that time. In the intervening years, hundreds of boaters have received boating education and training in Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron classes, with many joining the squadron, resulting in a membership today of more than 500 members.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of organizational records of the Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron. Fonds is arranged in five series: 1) Regulations; 2) Executive records 1957-1996 and 1998-1999; 3) Annual General Meeting records 1985-1996; 4) Photographs; 5) Miscellaneous and 6) Newsletters.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-227

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres