Fonds - Nanaimo Foundry fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Foundry fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1979 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nanaimo Foundry

Physical description area

Physical description

3 v of textual records;219 photographs;60 cm of technical drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Nanaimo Foundry, at the corner of Comox Road and Arena Street, was established by Thomas and Nathaniel Dobeson in 1888. In 1889, Nathaniel sold his part of the business to Thomas who had already been a successful engineer in England. Originally, the foundry catered to the marine industry but quickly diversified into mining, logging and railway work. Thomas Dobeson patented, among other items, his own line of fire hydrants and the "Dobeson Carwheel", a wheel for coal mine cars with a built-in oiling device. Marine work included the design and production of marine engines and the conversion of sailing vessels to steamboats. In 1904, Dobeson died. By that time, the foundry was producing "donkeys", engines equipped with drums and cables which pulled logs out of the woods. Dobeson's sons, Joseph and Osmand, inherited the business and, over the years, it was owned by a succession of private interests including Ken Alexander and the Victoria Machinery Depot. The present buildings date from 1913 and include a machine shop which was built during World War 2. During the war, the foundry operated around the clock, building engine and marine parts for the military. In 1999, the Foundry moved to larger, more modern premises near Chemainus. At the time of the move, the Foundry, including a machine shop and fabricating works, catered mainly to pulp mills and the forestry industry and employed about 30 people. The site was purchased by the Nanaimo Port Authority in the 1980s and leased to the Foundry. The site was subsequently acquired by the Snenymuxw First Nations. In June 2005, a demolition permit was approved for all sections of the Foundry except the oldest identified section. The remainder of the building was demolished in January 2007.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the business records of the Nanaimo Foundry. Fonds is arranged in four series: 1) Plans, Quotes and Technical Drawings; 2) Photographs; 3) Work Orders and 4) Pattern Book.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available. Item level descriptions available for selected photographs.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-202

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres