Fonds - Nanaimo Daily News fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Daily News fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1960-1998] (Creation)
    Creator
    Nanaimo Daily News

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm of textual records;ca. 10,000 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Vancouver Island's second-oldest newspaper, the Nanaimo Daily Free Press, was started in 1874. The newspaper was published that year as a semi-weekly by George Norris. Another newspaper, the Gazette-Tribune, pre-dated the Free Press in the city. It started in 1865 and was published by a group of citizens. The Gazette-Tribune was managed by Joseph McClure, who became the sole owner in 1866 and changed the paper's name to The Tribune. This paper lasted only about a year. When it went out of business, Nanaimo was left without any news services until the founding of the Free Press. The Free Press became a daily after 14 years of operation and in it's new incarnation as the Nanaimo Daily News remains the city's only daily newspaper. When George Norris died in 1902, the paper was continued by his sons, George E. and Will F. Norris. After the death of George E. Norris, the paper was sold to Thomas Booth, who later sold it to the Nanaimo Daily Free Press Limited, a company that included two or Norris' grandsons. In 1938, the company acquired the printing plant of the Nanaimo Daily Herald, and both papers were printed there until the suspension of the Herald later that year, leaving the Daily Free Press as the only daily paper. The newspaper was printed by steam print method. The ponderous hot-metal system was replaced in time by pasted-up "cold type" which was photographed on full-size page sheets then transferred to the press on an aluminum plate. When all departments, including the newsroom, became computerized in 1985, the Free Press made a giant leap into high-tech printing. The partners continued operation of the newspaper they had bought from Booth until April 1, 1954, when they sold it to Roy Thomson. In 1961, the Thomson Corporation began publishing the Nanaimo Times which essentially existed in competition with the Daily Free Press. However, the Times was a tri-weekly mass distribution newspaper and its employees were members of the Graphic Communications International Union. The Times faced a lockout situation in 1994 and ultimately ceased production in November 1996. The following month the Daily Free Press took over the production of a new non-daily community-based newspaper replacing the Times with the Harbour City Star. The Daily Free Press remained a member of the Thomson chain until it was purchased by Southam Publishing Ltd. It was subsequently purchased by Canwest Global. In April 1997, the daily was relaunched in a new format and renamed the Nanaimo Daily News. Many Daily News staff writers and photographers have won awards for their work over the years, in British Columbia, Canada and North America competitions. The office is now located at 2575 McCullough Road.;Administrative history taken from Daily News web site.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Photographs were donated by Peter Godfrey, Managing Editor, in 2001.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of published and unpublished photographs taken by staff and outside photographers of events, individuals, buildings, and community groups in the Nanaimo region. Many of the photographs were taken by Englefield Studios. Also includes material related to the Nanaimo Commonwealth Holdings Society Bingo scandal.;The fonds is arranged in three series: 1) Prints 2) Negatives and 3) Bingo scandal materials.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available. Some item level descriptions available on public database.
Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-181

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres