Fonds - Nanaimo Cemetery Trustees fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Cemetery Trustees fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA NCAI

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1877-1924 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nanaimo Cemetery Trustees

Physical description area

Physical description

7 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

By 1875, Nanaimo's first Cemetery, at the corner of Wallace Street and Comox Road, was full. In 1877, the Vancouver Coal Mining and Land Company donated land for a new cemetery near the present day intersection of Comox Road and Howard Avenue. In the same year, the Lieutenant-Governor appointed the Mayor and Councillors, and their successors, as the Board of Cemetery Trustees under the Cemetery Ordinance of 1870. The Trustees oversaw the fencing, draining, and regular maintenance of the Cemetery, as well as the construction of roads and the planting of shrubs and trees. The City Clerk acted as Secretary to the Trustees, and was responsible for the Cemetery's management, including supervision of the gravedigger, the sale of plots, and burials. The last burial in the Pioneer Cemetery was in 1895.

Custodial history

The records were transferred to the City Archives Vault at an unknown date. The plot book and the minute volume were transferred to the Nanaimo Community Archives in January 1992. Other minutes remain at the City Hall Vault.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of the Nanaimo Cemetery plot book and minutes of meetings of the Cemetery Trustees.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-65

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres