Fonds - Marpole United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Marpole United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1900-2000 (Creation)
    Creator
    Marpole United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.87 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In the late 1800s both Methodist and Presbyterian religious services were being held in the Marpole area. In 1910, under the pastorate of the Richmond Circuit, the Eburne Methodist Church was built. The 1916 Annual Conference of the Methodist Church in B.C. separated the Eburne appointment from the Richmond circuit and formed it into a separate circuit. At the annual conference in 1917 the two appointments of Eburne and Oak Street Methodist Church were placed together. In 1918, Oak Street Methodist was closed, and Eburne was linked again with Richmond. Richmond Presbyterian Church was one of the oldest congregations on the mainland of British Columbia. In 1861 the first services were held, however the first church on Sea Island (Richmond) was not built until July,1886. In August 1886, First Presbyterian Church in Vancouver was dedicated, and Richmond Presbyterian Church, along with First, Vancouver, was formed into a single charge. In March of 1887, Westminster Presbytery received and granted a petition from the Vancouver congregation for separation from the Richmond congregation. In early 1925 joint discussions regarding church union were carried on by both the Eburne Methodist Church and the Richmond Presbyterian Church congregations. This discussion culminated in the union of the two congregations into Marpole United Church in 1925. The combined congregations met in the Eburne Methodist Church building for a period of time until the present Marpole United Church building was ready for occupancy. The new Marpole United Church building was opened in October, 1928.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Marpole United Church (Vancouver, B.C.), Marpole Methodist Church, Eburne Methodist Church and Richmond Presbyterian Church. Records include Baptismal registers (1927-1992), Marriage registers (civil) (1920-1992), Burial register (1944-1969); Membership records (1916-1974); Session minutes (1925-1972), Session Elders Visiting lists (1959-1962), Stewards minutes (1925-1981), Administration Committee minutes (1969-1981), Official Board minutes (1916-1979), Executive Council Committee minutes (1972-1986), Administration Committee minutes (1972-1979, 1984-1986), Christian Education Committee minutes (1972-1985), Financial Committee reports (1976-1979), Membership and Pastoral Care Committee minutes (1972-1982), Nominations Committee minutes (1972-1972), Outreach Committee minutes (1972-1986), Worship Committee minutes (1972-1985), Trustees minutes (1951-1976), Congregational Meetings minutes (1925-1958), Building Committee minutes and correspondence (1956-1957); Ladies' Aid records (1920-1928), Woman's Association records (1929-1962), Woman's Missionary Society records (1917-1924, 1926-1956, 1960-1962), Women's Federation minutes (1957-1962), United Church Women records (1961-2000), Fireside Club minutes (1948-1983); Kindergarten Sunday School programme (1951-1952); Mission Band minutes (1900-1904, 1906-1910); Contents of Copper Chest (1966); Worship Bulletins (1976-1980, 1982-1991); Annual Reports (1948-1998); Guest Registers (1978, 1986, 1988).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-371

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area