Murdoch MacKay and Samuel Henderson Currie were business partners in Salmon Arm from 1905-1907, where they operated the MacKay and Currie General Store on Front Street. The store was purchased in 1907 and operated by R.K. Scales. About 1912, the building was taken over by S.A.F.E., the retail arm of the Salmon Arm Farmers Exchange Limited, a co-operative store until the 1956.
Murdoch MacKay was manager of S.A.F.E.until 1945. Murdoch MacKay, b.1868 in Scotland, emigrated to Canada in 1888 and followed the construction of the CPR to Donald, BC, where he met and married the sister of Samuel Currie in 1892.
Both MacKay and Currie were keenly interested in the community life of Salmon Arm and were active in municipal government.