Fonds MS 126;1990.130;1992.036 - Long Lake Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Long Lake Company fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA VERN MS 126;1990.130;1992.036

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1909-1985 (Creation)
    Long Lake Company

Physical description area

Physical description

15 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Long Lake Company was incorporated in 1909. Established as a public company with a capital of $15,000 (divided into 300 -$50 shares), the purpose of the company was to provide country club facilities for shareholders and future generations. Property on Long Lake (present-day Kalamalka Lake) was purchased and a clubhouse was constructed. The clubhouse was built halfway out into the lake, with a diving board and diving tower running out from the east end of the building. The ground floor contained boat and canoe storage, while the upper storey was described as a ballroom. The company rented the premises to an unincorporated group called the Vernon Country Club. Tennis courts were added to the grounds sometime between 1909 and 1923. In 1926, members of the Rowing Club were allowed to become associate members with all privileges except for use of the second story ballroom and tennis courts. By 1927, the company agreed to absorb the Rowing Club into its membership. From 1931-1932, the premises were rented to the Kinsmen Club, but it reverted to the Country Club in 1933. By 1946, feeling financially pinched, the directors of the company raised capital by selling shares to members of the Vernon Country Club. This capital allowed the company to make much needed repairs to the crumbling foundation of the clubhouse. By 1949, these new shareholders were to constitute the entire Long Lake Company board of directors. They operated the club until 1953, when the premises were unofficially turned over to the Country Club for operation. In 1960, the Long Lake Company signed a 15-year lease of the club property with the Kalamalka Country Club Society. Many of this society's members were already members of the Vernon Country Club. The Long Lake Company continued to act as a holding company until 1975, when the lands and premises were officially transferred to the Kalamalka Country Club Society. One of the first things the society did, was to move the original clubhouse back from the lakefront. In 1986, the clubhouse was listed as a heritage building in the greater Vernon Heritage Resource Inventory. However, in 1990 the original clubhouse was torn down and a new building erected in its place.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the administrative records and documents of the Long Lake Company from 1909-1985. Includes the company's constitution and by-laws, minutes, legal documents, correspondence, financial records, reports and various administrative documents produced by the Company. Fonds also includes records from the Kalamalka Country Club.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series and sous-fonds level descriptions available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: VERN-129

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres