Fonds 2010-023 - Local No. 1 CCF Club of Saanich fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Local No. 1 CCF Club of Saanich fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA SMA 2010-023

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920 - 1988 (Creation)
    Place
    Saanich

Physical description area

Physical description

10.5 cm textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1933-)

Administrative history

The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation, or CCF, was formed in Calgary in 1932 as a political coalition with the goal of economic reforms to improve conditions resulting from the Great Depression. It soon became well established, and CCF clubs were formed across the country, including a number in Saanich. The first meeting of Local No. 1 CCF club in Saanich was held on September 13, 1933 at 3234 Albina Street with Mr. Williamson as Chairman. Meetings were held in members’ homes and occasionally at St. Mark’s hall until the construction of the Douglas CCF Hall (located at 3368 Douglas Street) in 1944. The club registered under the Societies Act in 1950. In 1952, CCF member Frank Snowsell was elected MLA for the constituency of Saanich in the British Columbia general election, a position he held for one year. In 1961 the CCF entered into a formal alliance with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to create the New Democratic Party. Following this change, the Douglas CCF Hall Society was renamed the Douglas NDP Hall Society.

Custodial history

Transferred from Administration in 2003

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records originating from the CCF Hall on Douglas Street in Saanich and relating to the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (local, provincial, and federal groups) and to its successive form, the New Democratic Party (NDP). Fonds includes club constitution and by-laws, minutes, legal documents, financial records, correspondence, maps of polling areas, local charter certificates, event posters, news clippings and a scrapbook, organizational publications, photographs and sound & video recordings.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

None

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series level descriptions available. Item level descriptions available for photographs.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Physical description

Includes publications, maps and plans, photographs, videocassette, audio disc and ephemera

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created March 27, 2012.
Revised by BCANS Coordinator, April 9, 2012.

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres