Fonds - Literary and Scientific Department fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Literary and Scientific Department fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920-1933 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Literary and Scientific Dept.

Physical description area

Physical description

13 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1917-1955)

Administrative history

The Literary Department was formed in 1917 encompassing the previously autonomous activities of the Men's Literary Society and the Women's Literary Society. In 1920 the department became known as the Literary and Scientific Department. The executive of the new department included the presidents of the literary societies, the Player's Club, the Musical Society, the Chemistry Society, Sigma Delta Kappa Society, the Agriculture Discussion Group, and Dr. Sedgewick as honourary president. The resulting composition of the Literary and Scientific Executive (L.S.E.) was to be one representative from each campus club which was not athletic and did not fall under the Engineering Undergraduate Society. The task of the L.S.E. was to promote, direct, and co-ordinate the activities of its constituent organizations. In 1955 the L.S.E. changed its name to University Clubs' Committee (U.C.C.), remaining a self-governing subsidiary of the Student's Council of the Alma Mater Society. At the same time, engineering clubs and some athletic clubs (Fencing and Badminton) were added to the constituent clubs of the U.C.C.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes, correspondence, and reports documenting the activities of the Literary and Scientific Executive and of various campus clubs including the French Literary and Dramatic Society, the Musical Society anf the Players' Club.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related records may be found with the Alma Mater Society fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-56

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area