Series - Legal records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Legal records

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1896-1989 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Church of Canada. Diocese of New Westminster. Synod

Physical description area

Physical description

.6 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1879, the original (1859) Anglican Diocese of British Columbia was divided into three "sees" (bishoprics, dioceses): The Bishopric of British Columbia, The Bishopric of Caledonia and The Bishopric of New Westminster. The Bishopric or the Diocese of New Westminster consisted of the southern mainland of the civil province of British Columbia. It has been divided again twice: in 1899 with the creation of the Diocese of Kootenay and in 1914 with the creation of the Diocese of Cariboo. Since 1914 its boundaries have included the Lower Mainland, the Fraser Valley up to and including Yale, the Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound area. The original See city was New Westminster with Holy Trinity Church constituted as the Cathedral in 1892. By the 1910's the Bishop and Synod administration had moved to Vancouver. In 1929 Christ Church in Vancouver was constituted the Cathedral of the Diocese. The Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster convened for the first time on April 18, 1882. The Constitution of the Synod was adopted at the conference held for this purpose. The attendees decided the following: the name and the composition of the Synod; the appointment and maintenance of the clergy; the tenure and management of church property; the formation and constitution of parishes; and the regulations for offices of the church. In 1893, an "Act to Incorporate the Anglican Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster" was passed by the Legislative Assembly of the civil province of British Columbia permitting the incorporation of the Diocese of New Westminster as a Corporation Sole. The Anglican Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster Incorporation Act, 1893 (the;"Act") established the boundaries of the diocese, the right of Synod to deal with real and/or personal property, to invest funds and to borrow money, to adopt, alter, amend or annul the Constitution, Canons, and Rules of order of the diocese. Diocesan parishes can also incorporate under this act. The "Act" was last amended by the Legislative Assembly of the province of British Columbia in 1961. Currently, the Act is included with the most recent printing of the Constitution, Canons and Rules of Order (1998). The Constitution, Canons and Rules of order are undergoing periodical amendments as circumstances require. The Canons of the diocese are the ecclesiastical laws by which it is governed. Canons must be authorized by a resolution that is carried at Synod and sanctioned by the Bishop. They can be changed, amended, deleted and/or added to only by the Synod and the Bishop. Regulations provide detailed information relating to various diocesan procedures. Rules of Order are detailed procedures for the proper management of meetings of sessions of Diocesan Synod.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of property records, legal records, financial records, correspondence relating to property sales and mortgages, deeds of land. Includes a printed copy of the "Act to constitute the Bishops of British Columbia, Caledonia and New Westminster Corporations sole", as well as a printed copy of the New Westminster municipality by-law 1248, that enabled Bishop Adam U. de Pencier to acquire land for the purpose of a cemetery (1930). The agreement is known as "The Church of England Cemetery by-law 1930". Other legal records include mortgage payment agreements between Synod and Eldentrand Stroining (1980), Svend Aage Bach and Marie Immacolata (1981), and Mary Ann Dickhoff (1984). Includes also copies of mortgage agreements between the Diocese of New Westminster and the Society for the Property of Gospel (1913, 1915, 1923, 1924). Includes a list of parishes incorporations (1896 - 1931), bylaws relating to parishes' incorporations, a handwritten copy of the incorporation act of St. Thomas Chilliwack parish (1896). Series consists also of records relating to the following funds and trusts: E. Disney Farmer Memorial fund, J.C. Wetherell Estate trust, Rev. H. Bell-Irving Memorial fund, Bishops Endowment fund.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: ANGNW-767

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area