Fonds - Langholm fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Langholm fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA LCM

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1943-1969 (Creation)
    Creator
    Langholm

Physical description area

Physical description

14.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Langholm was officially opened around 1944 in Langley as an home for the aged with preference given to Langley citizens. It was operated by the Municipal Council of the Corporation of the Township of Langley through its Utilities and Energies Committee with the Municipal Clerk designated manager. For many years, it appears a smaller group of individuals, in the form of the Langholm Committee, met to oversee Langholms operation .From the time of its inception in 1943, a Ladies Auxiliary was formed, first called the Langholm Ladies Auxiliary and later the Langholm Womens Auxiliary, which organized volunteers to support Langholm. The Auxiliary was in existence until Langholm closed. Around 1961, Langholm began to accept a significant proportion of patients from Provincial Mental Health (PMH) institutions. In 1964, it was decided that due to declining use by senior citizens, Langholm would focus on being a rehabilitative facility for persons transferred from PMH institutions. The Corporation of Langley closed Langholm on December 15, 1968. Langholm was sold to Floyd Elroy Cochrane and partners in 1969.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of administrative records, 1943-1969, such as correspondence, financial records, and a floor plan. There are records created in 1968 and 1969 relating to the sale of Langholm. There is also a special report by Frederick Field and Co. created in 1949 that addressed the management of patients assets, a financial ledger from 1949-1968, and patient logs, which contain personal information, from 1943-1947, 1947-1951, 1951-1956, and 1957-1968. Included in the fonds are records from the Langholm Womens Auxiliary which include a 1960-1968 ledger book, and minute books from 1950-1954, 1954-1958, and 1959-1969. Additionally, there are minutes from the Langholm Committee from 1945-1949.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restrictions on the patient logs apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: LCM-2334

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres