Fonds - Knox United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Knox United Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910-1996, predominant 1910-1980 (Creation)
    Creator
    Knox United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2.18 m of textual records;33 photographs;1 photo album

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In the summer of 1910, a theological student from Westminster Hall (the Presbyterian Theological Seminary in the West End of Vancouver) established a missionary charge in the Kerrisdale area, where he held services in the Wilson Road (now 41st Avenue) Public School. The new congregation was first named Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church, but very soon after establishment, it was renamed Knox Presbyterian Church. In November 1911, the first church was opened which was located on 42nd Avenue and McDonald Street. This served the needs of the congregation until a new Sunday School and gymnasium was erected farther west, at 40th Avenue and Balaclava Street. The move west, following church union in 1925 was prompted by the close proximity of the first Knox building to Ryerson United Church at 45th Avenue and Yew Street. At the time of church union, non-concurring members of Knox Presbyterian left to form Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church, which was built on Trafalgar Street. Knox United Church worshipped in the Sunday School and gymnasium building until they built their present sanctuary which was opened and dedicated on December 12th, 1948.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of Knox United Church and its predecessors, Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church and Knox Presbyterian Church. Fonds comprises thirteen record series: Membership records (1924 ; 1957-1985); Board and committee records (1910-1985); Womens group records (1912-1980); Mens group records (1918-1924); Sunday School records (1928-1979); Youth group records (1939-1945); Annual reports (1951-1996); Building records (1949-1971; 1986); Worship bulletins (1970-1981); Newsletters (1960-1995); Knox Operatic Group (1957-1965); Jean Lathwell collection (1942-1999; predominant 1971-1985); Reference material (ca. 1948; 1981-1983).

Notes area

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Records transferred directly from Knox United Church (Vancouver, BC)

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Marguerite Britton fonds, City of Vancouver Archives (contains short history of Knox and its chancel stained glass window)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-296

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

VAN KN

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised August 22, 2014

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area