The Kamloops Farmers' Institute was established in Salmon Arm on March 15, 1898 as a men's lobby group that also purchased cheap, bulk land clearing powder. The Farmers' Institute was a province wide organization , fostered by government and received funding in the form of a government grant. The group was also active in areas outlying Salmon Arm.
Officers elected included C.B. Harris, Joseph Harbell, S.M. McGuire, Wm McLeod, Robert Turner, A.J. Palmer, John Mead, A. Noble (Kamloops). Membership was combined with the Kamloops Farmers' Institute and that part of the organization held fifteen members on its roster. Salmon Arm contributed 65 members.
When the name of the organization became known as Salmon Arm Farmers' Institute is unclear.
In 1913, Robert Turner was the secretary of the Farmers' Institute and custodian of the stumping powder. The sound of blasting was common in the Valley. When W.W. 1 was declared, the Salmon Arm Farmers' Institute had stockpiled two carloads of stumping powder and a partial carload of dynamite.