Fonds - Institute of Oceanography fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Institute of Oceanography fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949-1978 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Institute of Oceanography

Physical description area

Physical description

10 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1949-1979)

Administrative history

The Institute of Oceanography at the University of British Columbia was established within the Faculty of Graduate Studies in 1949. W.M. Cameron, a UBC zoology graduate, became the first active staff member. Initially, the Institute operated under the direction of the President's Committee on Oceanography which was chaired by W.A. Clemens. In 1953, Clemens was appointed as the Institute's first director, and he served in this capacity until 1958 when George L. Pickard succeeded him. In the late 1950s, grants from the National Research Council further facilitated the development of oceanography at UBC. The Institute enjoyed considerable success in interdisciplinary teaching and research at a time when such an approach was viewed with some skepticism on campus. Graduate degrees could be awarded only by the departments whose faculty were also members of the Institute. In April 1979, the Institute was transferred to the Faculty of Science and became the Dept. of Oceanography.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of miscellaneous files from George Pickard's office (1949-1974), including records from the Canadian Committee on Oceanography (1960-1972). The bulk of the records are composed of departmental files including correspondence, grant material, and financial records. There is also a comprehensive set of oceanographic log sheets containing data collected between 1951 and 1978.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-810

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area