Title and statement of responsibility area
Information Office fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1925-1978, predominant 1951-1969 (Creation)
- University of British Columbia. Information Office
Physical description area
1.5 m of textual records
ca. 25,000 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Although not established as a separate unit at the University of British Columbia until 1955, the Information Office with its attendant responsibilities had been exercised for some years previously by the Dept. of University Extension. In 1955, the University developed a separate agency for public relations and appointed Edward Parker as Information Officer. The responsibilities of the Information Office were twofold; (1) to aid media representatives in their reporting about UBC and, (2) to assist faculty and staff in ensuring that adequate attention would be drawn to university events and activities. The Information Office existed until 1965, when its operation was superseded by Information Services.
Name of creator
In the years before the establishment of the Dept. of University Extension (1936), the University of British Columbia was engaged in three main extension activities. These included the provision of vocational courses for returning soldiers (1917-1921), the dissemination of agricultural information to the farmers of the province through short courses, and the Extension Lectures Committee (1918-1935) which co-ordinated lectures by university faculty throughout the province. A Carnegie Corporation grant of $50,000 helped to establish the Dept. of University Extension in 1936. Robert English became its first director. Between 1936 and 1970, the department, first under English, then Gordon Shrum and later John Friesen, expanded the scope of its activities. The department continued until 1970 when, after a period of re-evaluation, the university changed the name to Continuing Education. This transition reflected changing public demands and a shift in emphasis toward professional and continuing academic education.
Name of creator
In 1965, Information Services assumed the responsibilities of the Information Office which had existed from 1955 to 1965. Like its predecessor, the mandate of Information Services focused on the dissemination of information to the public by arranging interviews with the news media, promoting participation in television and radio broadcasts, and preparing news releases for all potential news outlets. The office published UBC Reports, and produced UBC Now, a weekly half-hour television series which chronicled university activities. Information Services continued until 1985 when its public relations functions were assumed by Community Relations.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of mimeographed master copies of news releases issued by the Information Office and its predecessor and successor in their roles as a public relations agencies. Also included are photographs depicting various UBC related persons, buildings and events.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Fonds consists of institutional records – access requests must be reviewed by the University's FOIPOP Coordinator.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Online Finding Aid
Photographs are described separately.
Related records can be found in the Information Services and Community Relations fonds.
BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-806