Fonds - Hatzic United Church (Mission, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hatzic United Church (Mission, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1928-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Clayburn United Church (Abbotsford, B.C.)
  • 1928-1958 (Creation)
    Creator
    Whonnock United Church (Maple Ridge, B.C.)
  • 1928-1971 (Creation)
    Creator
    Dewdney United Church
  • 1925-1971 (Creation)
    Creator
    Hatzic United Church (Mission, B.C.)
  • 1914-1925 (Creation)
    Creator
    Hatzic Presbyterian Church (Mission, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

33 cm of textual records
1 architectural drawing

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Hatzic United Church, located in Mission District Municipality, was the main congregation in Hatzic Pastoral Charge in Fraser Presbytery. Hatzic congregation originated as Hatzic Presbyterian Church in 1912 as part of the St. Andrew's, Mission City charge. After entering church union in 1925 Hatzic United Church continued as part of the St. Andrew's, Mission City charge until 1927 when the latter effected union with the former Methodist church in Mission City. As a result the Hatzic Pastoral Charge was created in 1927 including the United Church congregation (formerly Methodist) at Dewdney as well as a congregation at Deroche. The composition of the charge changed over the years, although Dewdney remained a part of the charge until the charge, including both Hatzic and Dewdney, closed in 1970 with membership transferred to St. Andrew's, Mission City. According to yearbook statistics, Deroche discontinued ca. 1939. Whonnock, located in Maple Ridge District Municipality, was part of Hatzic Pastoral Charge from 1939 to 1952, and Clayburn, located in Matsqui District Municipality, was a part of the charge from 1940 until 1958 when the congregation closed.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Biographical history

Clayburn Presbyterian Church was founded in 1910 as part of the Mission pastoral charge. It became Clayburn United Church in 1925 and closed in 1958. During its existence, it formed a separate charge from ca. 1914 to 1930; from 1930 to 1940 it was part of the combined Clayburn-Mount Lehman Pastoral Charge; and from 1940 until the congregation closed in 1958, Clayburn was part of Hatzic Pastoral Charge. The Women's organizations of Clayburn United Church continued for some years after the church had closed. Straiton and Gifford were preaching points associated with Clayburn.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1925-2010)

Administrative history

Whonnock United Church, located in Maple Ridge District Municipality, was founded as Whonnock Presbyterian Church. A mission field had been established as early as 1888 in conjunction with Mount Lehman but official records date only from 1912 and the church was built in 1914. Prior to 1912 Whonnock (referred to as Warnock or Wharnock in Presbyterian yearbook statistics) was mainly associated with Haney. The Whonnock charge was separated in 1912 and included Ruskin, Albion and Silverdale, and later Stave Falls in Mission District Municipality. From 1927 to 1930 Whonnock was again included with Haney. In 1930 the Whonnock-Ruskin Pastoral Charge was created which primarily included Whonnock, Websters Corners and Ruskin. After being supplied from Haney and Coquitlam from 1936 to 1939, the congregation was attached to the Hatzic Pastoral Charge in which it remained until 1952. In that year Whonnock became a separate charge and included Websters Corners United Church since 1953 as Whonnock-Websters Corners Pastoral Charge and until ca. 1959, Albion United Church, in Fraser Presbytery. Whonnock United Church was closed on July 1, 2010.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Dewdney, Clayburn, Whonnock, Deroche and Hatzic United Church. Records include Baptismal register (1930-1968), Marriage registers (1930-1970), Burial register (1928-1969); Membership records (1931-1969); Board and committee records (1919-1969); Women's group records (1929-1971); Youth group records (1962-1963); Annual reports (1967-1968); and Congregational financial records (1914-1960).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Date of transfer of most materials not established. Some material transferred in 1991, possibly from St. Andrew's United Church (Mission, B.C.) Subsequent material received from St. Andrew's United Church (Mission, B.C.) in 2013.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File lst available Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-200

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

MIS HA

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised March 23, 2017

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area