Fonds - Haida Gwaii Pastoral Charge (Skidegate, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Haida Gwaii Pastoral Charge (Skidegate, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title ased on contents of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1884 - 1992 (Creation)
    Creator
    Haida Gwaii Pastoral Charge (Skidegate, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

70 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1884-)

Administrative history

Methodist work in the area began in 1884 with the construction of a
church, organization of a congregation and appointment of a minister at the behest of Amos Russ, the grandson of a Native chief and a Christian convert. The initial building that served as the church was an old First Nations dance hall that had been refurbished by the local community. This was the local church for 28 years, after which the Spencer Memorial Church, constructed largely by volunteers in 1912, served as the place of worship. Spencer Memorial Church was named for Dr. J.C. Spencer, a minister and medical doctor who spearheaded its construction. Although the mission was initially started for the purpose of evangelizing to the native peoples, the congregation expanded to include many families of settlers, who immigrated to the area in search of natural resources and work during the 1910s and 1920s. Spencer Memorial Church was renamed Spencer Memorial United Church with church union in 1925. In 1957, in concert with Queen Charlotte City United Church, the congregation of Spencer Memorial United Church purchased Dead Tree Point, which they used for a children’s camp from 1957 to 1969, when the regular summer camps stopped due to a lack of participants. In 1974, Spencer Memorial United Church was found to possess insufficient facilities to continue serving as the area’s church. An analysis of the building found it to be lacking in insulation and basic facilities such as a washroom or kitchen, as well as possessing a much larger sanctuary than was needed to house the now modest congregation. In 1974, Spencer Memorial United Church was closed and a new church named Skidegate United Church was built and dedicated. The building of Spencer Memorial United Church was demolished in 1975.
Methodist services began in Queen Charlotte City in 1908 when the Reverend J.C. Spencer began making trips by boat from the village of Skidegate to Queen Charlotte City. A regular minister was appointed and a church building constructed in 1909. The congregation would expand to include many more families of settlers who came to the area searching for natural resources and farmland during the 1910s and 1920s. A new church building was constructed in 1960-1961; it included improved facilities such as a new kitchen, washrooms, committee room, and entrance hall.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of Skidegate United Church, its predecessors, Spencer Memorial Church and Spencer Memorial United Church, Queen Charlotte United Church, Sandspit United Church, Seaview United Church and Seaview Community Church, and Tasu United Church. Records include Baptism registers (1884-1992), Marriage registers (1884-1984), and Burial registers (1884-1969); Membership records (1953-1990); Board and Committee records (1939-1991); Women’s Group records (1920-1980); Sunday school records (1966-1980); Financial records (1955-1985); Special Events records (1971-1984); Annual statistics (1967-1989); Outreach programs records (1969-1985); Building and Property records (1966-1987); a history of the United Church in the Queen Charlotte Islands (1985).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

See File List

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created Sept. 2009

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres