Haida Gwaii Pastoral Charge (Skidegate, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Haida Gwaii Pastoral Charge (Skidegate, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1884-

History

Methodist work in the area began in 1884 with the construction of a
church, organization of a congregation and appointment of a minister at the behest of Amos Russ, the grandson of a Native chief and a Christian convert. The initial building that served as the church was an old First Nations dance hall that had been refurbished by the local community. This was the local church for 28 years, after which the Spencer Memorial Church, constructed largely by volunteers in 1912, served as the place of worship. Spencer Memorial Church was named for Dr. J.C. Spencer, a minister and medical doctor who spearheaded its construction. Although the mission was initially started for the purpose of evangelizing to the native peoples, the congregation expanded to include many families of settlers, who immigrated to the area in search of natural resources and work during the 1910s and 1920s. Spencer Memorial Church was renamed Spencer Memorial United Church with church union in 1925. In 1957, in concert with Queen Charlotte City United Church, the congregation of Spencer Memorial United Church purchased Dead Tree Point, which they used for a children’s camp from 1957 to 1969, when the regular summer camps stopped due to a lack of participants. In 1974, Spencer Memorial United Church was found to possess insufficient facilities to continue serving as the area’s church. An analysis of the building found it to be lacking in insulation and basic facilities such as a washroom or kitchen, as well as possessing a much larger sanctuary than was needed to house the now modest congregation. In 1974, Spencer Memorial United Church was closed and a new church named Skidegate United Church was built and dedicated. The building of Spencer Memorial United Church was demolished in 1975.
Methodist services began in Queen Charlotte City in 1908 when the Reverend J.C. Spencer began making trips by boat from the village of Skidegate to Queen Charlotte City. A regular minister was appointed and a church building constructed in 1909. The congregation would expand to include many more families of settlers who came to the area searching for natural resources and farmland during the 1910s and 1920s. A new church building was constructed in 1960-1961; it included improved facilities such as a new kitchen, washrooms, committee room, and entrance hall.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places