Fonds MS 154 - Front Street Grocery and Confectionery Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Front Street Grocery and Confectionery Fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Repository

Reference code

CA SAM MS 154

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1946 (Creation)
    Creator
    Front Street Grocery and Confectionery
    Place
    Salmon Arm

Physical description area

Physical description

6.7 cms of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1946-1956)

Administrative history

Front Street Grocery was a store that operated on Front Street (now Lakeshore Dr. NW) in the Merchant’s Block in downtown Salmon Arm.

The Salmon Arm Observer’s advertisements for Front Street Grocery are first found in 1939. Ed Porte, former manager of Overwaitea, was the first known owner. According to his death records Porte developed senility and heart conditions after ownership was transferred to Frank Farmer. Farmer operated the store from 1943. Farmer expanded the store in 1948 to include property previously occupied by Preston’s Radio Sales. The store was still in operation in 1955 but its telephone listings ceased in 1956.

According to Okanagan Historical Society President and local resident Linda Painchaud (nee Harper) Frank Farmer had pool tables in the back and the store operated into the 1960s.

Frank Farmer married Florence Gertrude Pauling in 1936 and the couple had one son Richard (Dick) in 1939. When Florence and Frank divorced, Frank married Mayo Wilson (nee Keefer) sometime after World War II. The couple had no children.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of 9 account ledgers, an agreement for a Right-of-Way, and a sale of property. Title is based on the contents of the fonds.

The fonds is divided into two series.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

MS 154

Institution identifier

SAM

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres