Fleetwood Memorial United Church (Surrey, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Fleetwood Memorial United Church (Surrey, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1951-1994

History

The post-war migration of veterans and their families to Vancouver's suburbs led to a large population growth in the Surrey district of Fleetwood. On February 15, 1951 a group of 23 women met to discuss the possibility of organizing a United Church congregation in Fleetwood. The first regular service of the United Church in Fleetwood in Port Kells pastoral charge was held in Fleetwood Community Hall on Palm Sunday, 1951. Work proceeded on a church building, which was dedicated in opening services on January 14, 1955. The church mortgage was completely paid off in December 1966. In October 1976, Fleetwood Memorial United Church started on a building program to provide a multi-purpose building to be used for both congregation and community activities. In November 1993 Fleetwood church members voted to begin negotiations with North Surrey United Church toward building a regional church. The amalgamation was completed in 1994 and the new congregation and pastoral charge of Northwood was created.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised March 26, 2014

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places