Fonds - First United Church (Prince Rupert, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

First United Church (Prince Rupert, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1909 - 1995 (Creation)
    Creator
    First United Church (Prince Rupert, B.C.)
    Place
    Prince Rupert

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

()

Administrative history

Methodist work began in Prince Rupert in July, 1908. A small tent-roofed church was quickly erected, and services were begun. A larger church was built on a new site in 1911, and dedicated on March 3rd, 1912. In 1925, Prince Rupert Methodist Church entered church union, becoming First United Church. A majority of the Presbyterian Church congregation voted not to enter church union. In 1959, First United Church sponsored the development of “Friendship House”, a social centre and a residence for boys from First Nations villages who needed to come to Prince Rupert to attend high school.

The Rupert East United Church was built in January of 1926 and Rev. G.G. Hacker conducted the first service. Prior to this, Methodists had been active in the area for several years with a gymnasium and Sunday School. The Church was disbanded in 1934 but Sunday School care continued for several years afterwards.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Prince Rupert Methodist Church, First United Church (Prince Rupert, B.C.) and Rupert East United Church. Records include Baptism registers (1909-1995), Marriage registers (1909-1987), and Burial registers (1910-1984); Membership records (1910-1988); Board and committee records (1908-1987); Women's group records (1926-1942); Men's group records (1912-1914); Sunday School records (1909-1928); Youth group records (1952-1958); Records of other groups (1917-1940); and Annual reports (1942-1991).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Records were transferred to Archives in 1975. Subsequent accruals occurred in 1996 and 2009.

General note

Records of Rupert East United Church were integrated within the First United Church records

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-303

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

PRI FI

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created January 8, 2010

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area