First United Church (Prince Rupert, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

First United Church (Prince Rupert, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Methodist work began in Prince Rupert in July, 1908. A small tent-roofed church was quickly erected, and services were begun. A larger church was built on a new site in 1911, and dedicated on March 3rd, 1912. In 1925, Prince Rupert Methodist Church entered church union, becoming First United Church. A majority of the Presbyterian Church congregation voted not to enter church union. In 1959, First United Church sponsored the development of “Friendship House”, a social centre and a residence for boys from First Nations villages who needed to come to Prince Rupert to attend high school.

The Rupert East United Church was built in January of 1926 and Rev. G.G. Hacker conducted the first service. Prior to this, Methodists had been active in the area for several years with a gymnasium and Sunday School. The Church was disbanded in 1934 but Sunday School care continued for several years afterwards.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created January 8, 2010

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places