First United Church (Port Alberni, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

First United Church (Port Alberni, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1907-2001

History

Methodist work began in Port Alberni in 1907 and in the following year, property was secured for a church building. The congregation continued to meet in a school house until the new church, First Methodist Church was built and opened in August, 1912. In 1925, First Methodist Church came into church union as First United Church and became part of Victoria Presbytery from 1925 to 1959. Since 1959, it has been within Comox-Nanaimo Presbytery. On December 9, 1962, a new church building was opened and dedicated. In June, 2001, First United Church and St. Andrew's United Church (Port Alberni, B.C.) became one pastoral charge known as Alberni Valley United Church. They maintained the two congregations until they were physically amalgamated in the former First United Church building in April, 2002.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Alberni Valley United Church (Port Alberni, B.C.) (2001-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

2001 - ?

Description of relationship

Successor

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC