Fonds - First Congregational Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

First Congregational Church (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1925 (Creation)
    Creator
    First Congregational Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

32 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

First Congregational Church held its first service on April 28, 1888 in Wilson Hall on the southwest corner of Cordova and Abbot Streets. The congregation was officially organized on June 17, 1888. It secured property on the corner of Richards and Georgia Streets and the new church was officially opened on December 8, 1889. In 1901, during the ministry of the Rev. J. H. Bainton, a controversy over Rev. Bainton's pacifism occurred, and a portion of the congregation split away to form Central Congregational Church. This congregation returned to First Congregational Church when Rev. Bainton was called to another church in 1903. By 1910, First Congregational Church was looking to move to another location. Property was purchased at the corner of Thurlow and Pendrell Streets and a temporary building was erected and opened on November 20, 1910. The new church building was opened on November 9, 1912. In 1925, First Congregational Church became a congregation of the United Church of Canada. At this time, First Congregational was amalgamated with St. John's United Church. The First Congregational Church building was given to the continuing Presbyterian Church. This became the property of Central Presbyterian Church which was made up of dissenting members of St. John's Presbyterian Church.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Central Congregational Church (Vancouver, B.C.) and First Congregational Church (Vancouver, B.C.). Records include Marriage registers (1901-1925) and a Burial register (1901-1903); Congregational rolls (1888-1924); Board of Management minutes (1910-1925), Monthly Church meetings minutes (1911-1925), Congregational Meetings minutes (1911-1925) and the Constitution of First Congregational Church (no date); Cooperation Committee of the Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian Churches minutes and news clippings (1913); "The Congregational Magazine" (publication) (1899); and "The Herald" (newsletters) (1901).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-304

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres