Fonds - Fair Haven Homes Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fair Haven Homes Society fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Attributions and conjectures: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1944-2016 (Creation)
    Creator
    Fair Haven Homes Society

Physical description area

Physical description

66 cm of textual records
4 photo albums
3 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1949-)

Administrative history

In 1946, BC Conference Executive appointed a committee to establish a home for senior citizens in the Greater Vancouver area. The Homes for the Aged Committee secured a site on Rumble Street, beside the United Church Home for Girls on Sussex Street. Funding for the project was provided by the United Church of Canada, the provincial government, and private donations and bequests. The Conference appointed a Board of Directors in 1949; it was registered under the British Columbia Societies Act in 1960. Several standing committees were established at the outset, including Building, Admissions, Furnishings, Executive, and Fund Raising committees. Also established early on was a Fair Haven Auxiliary (1950), which functions primarily to add to the comfort and welfare of residents and to assist with raising funds. The Fair Haven main lodge was dedicated in May 1950. A second site was developed in Vancouver in 1961, and is situated between East 48th and 49th Avenues. Both facilities have been redeveloped over the decades.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the following record series: Board and committee minutes (1946-2015); Board and committee correspondence and reports (1947-1960); Fair Haven Auxiliary records (1962-2009); Communications and marketing materials (1944-2007); Annual reports (1949-2016); Historical reference materials (1945-2009); and Photographs (1992-2011).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Initial records were donated from the estate of Fred Turner and brought to the Archives by John Wing, member of the Board of Directors, March 28, 1994. Further accruals transferred by Peggy Gomez in 2012 and 2017, and by Graham Brownmiller (with Jubilee United Church records) in 2019.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-9

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

AffB 23

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised May 8, 2019

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area