Esquimalt Indian Mission (Victoria, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Esquimalt Indian Mission (Victoria, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1911-[ca. 1970]

History

The Esquimalt Indian Mission was founded on May 31, 1911 (as Esquimalt Naval and Military Methodist Church). It was located at Jones’ Studio on Esquimalt Road. The first church service was officially held in June 1911. A year later, the property for the church was bought at the corner of Admirals Road and Lyall Street, and was dedicated in 1913, by Rev. Dr. W.J. Sipprell. At one point the church had a congregation of 200 members, and Sunday school was held in the Methodist Soldiers Home. The mission became a United Church mission at church union in 1925. A new Christian Education Hall was dedicated on March 27, 1965.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created July 10, 2018

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC