Fonds - Enderby Post Office fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Enderby Post Office fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1888-1987 (Creation)
    Enderby Post Office

Physical description area

Physical description

21 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Enderby Post Office was established November 1, 1887 in Harvey's General Store on the banks of the Shuswap River, with Oliver Harvey the first postmaster. Weekly mail service was changed to twice weekly service following a petition in 1888. In 1890 the post office and general store were moved to Cliff Street, close to the Enderby Bridge, and Henry Harvey, Oliver's brother, became postmaster. Harvey applied for and received a postal money order system to pay the hundreds of railway workers living in the city while the Shuswap and Okanagan Railway was being built. A separate post office building was added to the general store in 1904, and the post office was moved to the Bell Block on Cliff Street in 1909. Elizabeth Elinor Harvey became postmistress in 1913 following her husband's death. She was followed by J. Patrick Farmer in 1947. A brand new facility was built for the post office at the corner of Belvedere and Mill Streets in 1953. The Enderby Post Office was closed by the federal government in 1992 and the post office is now operated privately.

Custodial history

Some of these records were left in the post office when it closed.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence, inspection reports, samples of employee records (1949-1951), lists of box holders (1947-1960), registers (1952-1959), invoices, receipts, and postal guides. It also includes photocopies of correspondence, inspection reports and a petition for extended service from the Public Archives.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series level descriptions are available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: EDM-2712

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres