Fonds - Enderby Commoner fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Enderby Commoner fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-2001 (Creation)
    Creator
    Enderby Commoner

Physical description area

Physical description

720 photographs;18450 negatives;3550 newspapers

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The first newspaper in Enderby, the 'Edenograph', was established in 1904 by H.M. Walker. It was variously known as the 'Enderby Progress', 'Enderby Press and Walker's Weekly', and 'Okanagan Commoner'. In March 1930 it was re-named the 'Enderby Commoner' by H.M. Walker. Owners included H.M. Walker, H. Fraser, Frank Rouleau, and J.D. Tucker. J.E. Jamieson & Sons of Armstrong purchased the 'Enderby Commoner' from J.D. Tucker in 1949. James Jamieson and his son, Jack Jamieson maintained an office in Enderby from 1949 to 1988 and employed a series of reporters. In August 1988 he sold to John and Kathy Watt. In 1994 Andrew Yeates and Lisa McKnight-Yeats purchased the newspaper partnership with the publishers of 'Kelowna Capital News'. By August of 2001 the 'Enderby Commoner' had closed its doors. A new community newspaper, 'The North Valley Echo', began publication in 2001 by owners Duncan and Maureen Walker and editor, Jackie Pearase.

Custodial history

When Lisa McKnight-Yetes purchased the newspaper in 1994, she donated the newspapers, photographs and negatives remaining in the newspaper office to the museum. Jackie Pearase, reporter, and Darren Baybreck, editor, worked for the newspaper form 1996-2000. They donated the photographs and negatives remaining in the office when it closed.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of identified photographs and 35 mm negatives taken by staff at the newspaper (1977-2001), plus copies of all of the newspapers.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series level descriptions are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: EDM-3711

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres