Fonds - Division of Plant Science fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Division of Plant Science fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1954-1965 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Division of Plant Science

Physical description area

Physical description

2.4 m of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1955-)

Administrative history

The Division of Plant Science was established in 1955 when the Faculty of Agriculture was re-organized. At that time, the Division absorbed the plant science subjects of the Department of Agronomy, as well as the Department of Horticulture. The Faculty of Agriculture was then comprised of four departments and two divisions: the Departments of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Mechanics, Poultry Science and Soil Science, and the Divisions of Animal Science and Plant Science. In 1955, V.C. Brink became the chair of the division, and retained this post until 1970. During Brink's leadership of the division, the faculty expanded. In 1955, there were three professors of horticulture and two professors of agronomy. A sixth full-time faculty member was hired in 1960, and a seventh in 1962. A number of sessional lecturers were also hired. The division offered courses in agronomy, horticulture and plant science, and in 1964 plant protection courses were introduced. In 1963, a Master's Degree in Plant Science was offered, and in 1966, a Doctoral program was instituted. In response to increased enrolment and the availability of funds, a new building was constructed. The new complex, the present H.R. MacMillan Building, housed both the Faculty of Forestry and the Faculty of Agriculture. It was officially opened in July, 1967. In 1969, a new curriculum was introduced that contained thirteen graduate level courses. All courses offered by the division were now categorized under the heading of Plant Science. At that time, the division was renamed the Department of Plant Science.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of 10 volumes of purchase requisitions from 1954 to 1958, and a central office correspondence series from 1955 to 1965. The correspondence is informally arranged within a classification system that was inconsistently applied and developed until 1964. Two reference sheets for the subject classification system remain for 1956 and 1963 and are included in the first file for each of those two years. Many of the headings reflect the categories used by the Department of Agronomy. Intermingled with the files of the division are some of the faculty papers of V.C. Brink, the chair of the division. In 1964, the entire system appears to have broken down. From 1964 to 1970 all the division correspondence files were stored in unlabelled file folders the vast majority of which exhibited no internal coherence. Because of the presence of Brink's faculty papers in the files, and because of the absence of the division's classification system, the records from 1964 to 1970 have been arranged and described with Brink's personal papers. For a complete understanding of the functions and activities of the division, these records must also be consulted.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Fonds consists of institutional records – access requests must be reviewed by the University's FOIPOP Coordinator.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Other related material can be found in the Department of Agronomy fonds, P.A. Boving fonds, the G.G. Moe fonds, and the V.C. Brink fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-796

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres