Title and statement of responsibility area
Department of University Extension fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- University of British Columbia. Dept. of University Extension
Physical description area
2.64 m of textual records
ca. 20,000 photographs
15 sound recordings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In the years before the establishment of the Dept. of University Extension (1936), the University of British Columbia was engaged in three main extension activities. These included the provision of vocational courses for returning soldiers (1917-1921), the dissemination of agricultural information to the farmers of the province through short courses, and the Extension Lectures Committee (1918-1935) which co-ordinated lectures by university faculty throughout the province. A Carnegie Corporation grant of $50,000 helped to establish the Dept. of University Extension in 1936. Robert English became its first director. Between 1936 and 1970, the department, first under English, then Gordon Shrum and later John Friesen, expanded the scope of its activities. The department continued until 1970 when, after a period of re-evaluation, the university changed the name to Continuing Education. This transition reflected changing public demands and a shift in emphasis toward professional and continuing academic education.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records generated by both the Dept. of University Extension (1936-1969) and its predecessor, the Extension Lectures Committee (1918-1935). It appears that the records were re-arranged to facilitate the writing of Gordon Selman's history of the Department, and the original order was lost. The fonds has been arranged into the following series: Extension Lectures Committee; Department annual reports; general
records; professional and vocational education; the humanities and summer school; evening classes, lectures and correspondence courses; supporting services; pamphlets, brochures and course material; and Selman's own research notes. The fonds also includes a large number of photographs primarily from the 1950s and 1960s which depict campus events as well as people and buildings, as well as audio recordings of lectures and other events.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Fonds consists of institutional records – access requests must be reviewed by the University's FOIPOP Coordinator.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Other records dealing with the provision of non-credit courses by the University may be found in the Centre for Continuing Education fonds, and the Guided Independent Study fonds.
Photographs are stored separately, and are described in the UBC Historical Photographs database.
Audio recordings are stored separately – contact the University Archives for details.
BCAUL control number: UBCARCH-795