The Delta Board of Trade was founded in 1910 and changed its name to the Delta Chamber of Commerce in 1961. The Board of Trade was founded by a group of Ladner businessmen. They first met in the Ladner Town Hall on March 4, 1910 and elected W.J. Lanning, the senior partner in the firm of Lanning, Fawcett and Wilson Limited, as the first president of the organization. A.E. Kittson was chosen as vice-president and S.W. Fisher as secretary-treasurer. The major objective of the organization is to promote the economic well being of the Delta community. In order to fulfill this objective, the Board/Chamber has played an active role in the major issues relating to the development of Delta. Early activities include urging the provincial government to build a university in Delta, advocating the dredging of the Fraser River channel for better navigation, and preparing proposals for better transportation between Delta and Vancouver. In 1910, the Delta Board of Trade sent a petition to the Municipal Council requiring that a bridge be built across the Fraser River. Over the years, the Delta Chamber of Commerce issued various publications to promote Delta as the best place for doing business, recognized community leaders through its award "Citizen of the Year", and educated the public and politicians about issues of concern to the business community.