Fonds CR-16 - Delta Agricultural Society fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Delta Agricultural Society fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DMA CR-16

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1994 (Creation)
    Creator
    Delta Agricultural Society

Physical description area

Physical description

15 cm of textual records
62 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1906-1993)

Biographical history

The Delta Agricultural Society was founded in 1888, at a meeting of farmers chaired by William Ladner. The first executive consisted of John Kirkland, President; J.C. Calhoun, Vice-President; H.N. Rich, Secretary; and the following Directors: William Pybus, J.A. Paterson, John McKee Jr., William Arthur and P.W. Swett. The society was incorporated under a special act in 1888 and re-incorporated in 1916 under the "Agricultural Associations Act, 1914." The society's objectives were to encourage the raising of improved stock; the use of the best methods in cultivation of the soil, and to foster household arts. The society petitioned the government for 24 acres of the Trennant Public School reserve to be used as an agricultural show ground and for erecting buildings, and, subsequently, the Delta Agricultural Society obtained a 25 year lease on the property now known as Paterson Park. The Society obtained title to the property in 1902. In 1899, the society built the Delta Agricultural Hall and used it for farm fairs until the 1920s. In order to further one of the society's goals, improving the breeding of horses, the land they acquired from the government was developed into a racetrack for harness racing and the races were held until 1968. The Delta Trotting and Pacing Association and Delta Driving Park Association were created to support the interests of and were directed by members of the Delta Agricultural Society. The society sold portions of Paterson Park to Kwantlen College in 1993 and the Corporation of Delta in 1999. Although the Society no longer operates the racetrack or Paterson Park, it is one of the major funders of community works in Delta. Between 1994 and 1998, the society donated more than 1.3 million dollars to community groups, facilities and projects, including the Delta Hospital, McKee House Senior Recreation Centre, Delta Farmland and Wildlife Trust, and the Delta Museum and Archives.

Custodial history

Most of the records were donated by Mr. Ted Towers, an executive member of the Delta Agricultural Society, with the exception of a cash receipts book and a photograph donated by Mr. Fred Smith, also on the executive of the Delta Agricultural Society.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the original constitution and Crown Grant of the Society, minutes, financial and other records of the Society and of related Associations. The fonds is arranged in seven series: Constitution, Legal papers, Minutes of meetings, Financial records, Delta Driving Park Association records, Delta Trotting and Pacing Association records, Photographs, and Programmes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions and file inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: DMA-285

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres