Fonds - Cumberland United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cumberland United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1884-1988 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cumberland United Church

Physical description area

Physical description

35.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Cumberland United Church, established in 1926, had its origins in two earlier congregations, both founded in 1888, at the Union Mines coal mining operation, which later grew into the village of Cumberland. Union Presbyterian Church, which was later renamed St. George's, became St. George's United Church in 1925. Grace Methodist Church, which was part of the larger Cumberland Circuit which included points at Denman Island, Union Bay and Grantham, became Grace United. A Japanese Mission church also existed in Cumberland, although the only record of activities in this fonds are baptismal records of Cumberland Circuit. St. George's and Grace merged in 1926 to form Cumberland United Church and one pastoral charge. From 1950 until 1980, Union Bay and Denman Island congregations were again part of the Cumberland Pastoral Charge. Cumberland United Church is currently a part of Comox-Nanaimo Presbytery.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Cumberland United Church, St. George's Presbyterian Church, Grace Methodist Church, Cumberland Pastoral Charge and Cumberland Circuit. Records include Baptismal register (1912-1958), Marriage registers (1911-1970), Burial register (1914-1959); Circuit register (1896-1926), Communion roll (1925); Session minutes (1884-1920), Board of Managers minutes (1895-1917), Stewards minutes (1938-1963), Official Board minutes (1900-1920), Congregational meetings minutes (1895-1939); Ladies' Aid minutes (1938-1949), Ladies' Aid account book (1926-1937), Woman's Missionary Society minutes (1912-1939); Sunday School minutes (1951-1970); and Annual reports (1984-1988).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-146

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area