Cumberland United Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Cumberland United Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1926-2017

History

Cumberland United Church, established in 1926, had its origins in two earlier congregations, both founded in 1888, at the Union Mines coal mining operation, which later grew into the village of Cumberland. Union Presbyterian Church, which was later renamed St. George's, became St. George's United Church in 1925. Grace Methodist Church, which was part of the larger Cumberland Circuit which included points at Denman Island, Union Bay and Grantham, became Grace United. A Japanese Mission church also existed in Cumberland, although the only record of activities in this fonds are baptismal records of Cumberland Circuit. St. George's and Grace merged in 1926 to form Cumberland United Church and one pastoral charge. From 1950 until 1980, Union Bay and Denman Island congregations were again part of the Cumberland Pastoral Charge. Cumberland United Church disbanded on December 31, 2017.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised September 8, 2020

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places