Cranberry-Westview Pastoral Charge (Powell River, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Cranberry-Westview Pastoral Charge (Powell River, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1968-1989

History

From 1928 St. John's was a "parent" pastoral charge to the districts of Westview, Cranberry and Wildwood. Construction of Cranberry Church was started at this time. The Westview services were held in the annex of Westview School. In January 1933, it was decided to operate the churches under the constitution of The United Church of Canada. The Westview Church built its church hall in October 1933. The St. John's and Westview pastoral charges shared the same ministers until July 1941. From 1946, congregations of Westview and Cranberry met in Westview United Church. A new church building was dedicated at Westview in April 1951. The church was badly gutted by fire in August 1954 and rebuilt in 1955. A change took place in 1968; Westview and St. John’s congregations joined to become St. John’s-Westview United Church and Cranberry Church remained a separate congregation. It is last mentioned in the United Church Year Book in 1988.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created July 9, 2018

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC