Fonds - Cranberry-Westview Pastoral Charge (Powell River, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cranberry-Westview Pastoral Charge (Powell River, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1968-1989 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cranberry-Westview Pastoral Charge (Powell River, B.C.)
  • 1931-1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    Westview United Church (Powell River, B.C.)
  • 1928-1968 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cranberry United Church (Powell River, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

88 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1968-1989)

Administrative history

From 1928 St. John's was a "parent" pastoral charge to the districts of Westview, Cranberry and Wildwood. Construction of Cranberry Church was started at this time. The Westview services were held in the annex of Westview School. In January 1933, it was decided to operate the churches under the constitution of The United Church of Canada. The Westview Church built its church hall in October 1933. The St. John's and Westview pastoral charges shared the same ministers until July 1941. From 1946, congregations of Westview and Cranberry met in Westview United Church. A new church building was dedicated at Westview in April 1951. The church was badly gutted by fire in August 1954 and rebuilt in 1955. A change took place in 1968; Westview and St. John’s congregations joined to become St. John’s-Westview United Church and Cranberry Church remained a separate congregation. It is last mentioned in the United Church Year Book in 1988.

Name of creator

(1928-1968)

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1928-1968)

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Westview United Church and Cranberry United Church. Record series include: Baptismal records (1935-1986), Marriage records (1934-1969), Burial records (1936-1986); Communion roll (1931-1962); Board and committee records (1929-1984); Women's group records (1928-1985); Men's group records (1956-1966); Annual reports (1962-1989, predominant 1984-1989); Special program records (1971); Newsletters (1987-1989).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred to Archives by Powell River United Church in 1992.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

POW CW

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created July 9, 2018

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area