The Courtenay and District Historical Society was formed in 1953 to gather and preserve information, records, and artifacts connected with the history of the area including Bevan, Comox, Courtenay, Denman Island, Dove Creek, Fanny Bay, Headquarters, Hornby Island, Lazo, Little River, Merville, Minto, Miracle Beach, Royston, Sandwick and Union Bay. The first museum and archives was built in 1961 and in 1972, it moved to the Native Sons Hall. In 2000 the museum and archives moved to its present location in the renovated post office building at the corner of 4th Street and Cliffe Avenue in downtown Courtenay.
Records management and collecting policies
The Museum and Archives acquires information and records connected with the history of Courtenay and district, an area defined by the boundaries of School District 71 from the Oyster River south to Union Bay.
Total Volume: 69.36 meters
Inclusive Dates: 1890-1994
Predominant Dates: 1940s-1994
Finding aids, guides and publications
The Website, at http://www.courtenaymuseum.ca, provides information on the mandate, holdings and services of the Archives at the Courtenay and District Museum.