Fonds - Coqualeetza Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Coqualeetza Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1941 (Creation)
    Creator
    Coqualeetza Institute (Residential school : Sardis, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

14 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1884-1939)

Administrative history

The Coqualeetza Institute, also often known as the Coqualeetza Industrial Institute, was founded as a day school in 1884 by Charles M. Tate and his wife Caroline. Two years later, they took some of the students into the mission house, first at their own cost and later with a grant from the Methodist Woman's Missionary Society; in 1888, the W.M.S. built a residential school named the Coqualeetza Home, which continued to operate until it burned down in 1891. With some help from the federal government of Canada, the school was rebuilt and opened as the Coqualeetza Institute in 1894. In 1900, the General Board of Missions took over from the W.M.S. and enrollment was increased from 110 to 165 students. In 1914, George H. Raley was appointed Principal of the school. It is unclear who may have occupied the post between Raley and Tate, who appears in records as late as 1909; two other ministers, Elihu Manuel and A.E. Roberts, also appear in the records as having some involvement with the school between 1909 and 1914. In 1924 the federal government built a new building to accommodate 200 pupils, which opened in October. R.C. Scott was appointed Principal upon Raley's retirement in 1933, and served until the school was closed at the end of 1939, the building becoming the Coqualeetza Sanitorium under the management of the federal government, and the pupils and staff being moved to the Alberni Indian Residential School.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Baptism, marriage and burial records (1887-1941); Subscriptions (1914-1925); School registers (1888-1911); and Extra-curricular group records (1934-1935). The missionary subscription lists include those of the Lower Fraser Circuit for the period 1914-1920, mainly listing subscriptions from the Coqualeetza Institute. Also, there are a few records of marriages in the civil register that took place in Alberni, B.C., most likely at the Alberni Indian Residential School.

Notes area

Physical condition

Some volumes are fragile

Immediate source of acquisition

Unknown

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Most volumes are restricted because they contain personal information and are subject to the provisions of the BC Personal Information Protection Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Alberni Indian Residential School fonds
George H. Raley fonds
Robert Clyde Scott fonds
Jonathan Wood Galloway fonds, Chilliwack Museum and Archives (Galloway was a Methodist minister who taught at Coqualeetza)

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-73

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

AffB 5

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised August 11, 2011
Revised November 3, 2011
Revised August 22, 2014
Revised March 6, 2019

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area