Title and statement of responsibility area
Congregation Beth Israel fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Moving images
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds
Level of description
CA JHS A.2012.015
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
ca. 1930-2011 (Creation)
- Congregation Beth Israel
Physical description area
11.1 metres of textual records and other material
• ca. 1,400 photographs
• 3 videos : VHS ; DVD
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Congregation Beth Israel was formed August 2, 1932 as a Conservative synagogue in cooperation with United Synagogue of America. It was first housed in the then existing Jewish Community Centre at 11th and Oak Street. Services were held there from 1932 to 1948. Mr. Nathan Bell was the first President of the Congregation, Mrs. Etta Koenisberg the first Sisterhood President. Rabbi Benzion Bokser was hired September 1, 1932 as the Congregation’s first Rabbi. The School was established in 1933, and the choir was formed shortly thereafter. As the Congregation grew, it required more space, especially for High Holyday series, bar mitzvahs, and weddings. A building fund was established in 1937. Land at the present site was purchased in 1944 and consecrated in 1946. The first High Holyday services were held in the present sanctuary in 1948 and the synagogue dedication was held September 11, 1949. In 1945 the cemetery grounds were purchased.
In 1965 Congregation Beth Israel’s constitution was amended to give women membership and voting rights with two women elected to the Board of Directors. The role of women’s participation was first raised in 1969, while the issue of aliyot for women began in the early 1980’s, gained momentum after Yom Kippur 1986 and settled in its present form in 1995. Today women are full participants at all services and in all roles.
Today the mission of Congregation Beth Israel, member of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, is dedicated to the strengthening of all aspects of Jewish life, including worship and Torah study, religious, educational and social activities for all ages, and the observance of life cycle events.
Further Dates of Note:
• In 1970 the Groberman Chapel was renovated and refurnished.
• In 1982 the Koch Memorial Chapel at the Beth Israel Cemetery was dedicated.
• In 1992 the Beth Israel Cemetery Refurbishment project was completed.
• In 1993 the renovation of the entire synagogue was completed.
• 2007 was the 75th anniversary.
• 2012 was the 80th anniversary.
• In 2012 a major renovation and expansion was undertaken which was completed in 2014.
For a more in-depth history on Beth Israel, please see the "Beth Israel 80th Anniversary History Presentation", written by Yale M. Chernoff December 15, 2012: http://www.bethisraelvan.ca/history-of-beth-israel
Scope and content
The fonds consists of administrative and operational records generated by Congregation Beth Israel including: textual records; photographs; moving images; and scrapbooks.
The fonds is arranged into 18 series: Bar/Bat Mitzvahs; Weddings and marriages; Jewish Divorce (Get); Deaths and cemetery; Ritual Committee; Publications; Financial Statements; Birth (brit milah and baby naming); Conversions; Beth Israel – Schools; 75th Anniversary; Staff administration; Building: Renovation, maintenance and construction; High Holidays; Congregation Beth Israel Board of Directors; Synagogue administration; Beth Israel Women’s League / Sisterhood; and Photographs, audio-visual and scrapbooks.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Jewish Museum and Archives of British Columbia / Nemetz Jewish Community Archives
Rules or conventions
Rules for Archival Description
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created March 17, 2014
Language of description