Fonds - Como Lake United Church (Coquitlam, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Como Lake United Church (Coquitlam, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

    Level of description


    Reference code

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area


    • 1928-2002 (Creation)
      Como Lake United Church (Coquitlam, B.C.)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    1.57 m of textual records
    12 architectural drawings

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    Activity in the Como Lake area of Coquitlam began with families meeting in homes in the area in 1924, although the congregation is first mentioned in the 1928 yearbook. It is not known whether the United Church congregation was preceded by any Methodist or Presbyterian activity. A small wooden church was completed on Austin Avenue in 1926 and named Central United Church. Before becoming a separate charge around 1950, Central United was part of the Port Moody Pastoral Charge from approximately 1930. In 1951, with the congregation growing, the church moved to a new location on King Albert and Marmont Streets. The church's name was subsequently changed to Coquitlam Central United Church, but this caused confustion with the church in Port Coquitlam. At the 1956 Congregational meeting, the Congregation voted to change the name to Como Lake United Church. A new church was built to accommodate growth and was dedicated on December 4, 1960. Major expalnsions were completed in 1976 and 1986.

    Name of creator

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds consists of records of Central United Church which was renamed Como Lake United Church in 1956. Records include Marriage registers (civil) (1953-1998); Session minutes (1953-1969), Board of Managers (1928-1938),Stewards minutes (1953-1955), Board of Stewards minutes (1960-1967), Official Board correspondence (1950-1960), Building Fund Committee minutes and reports (1959-1960), Treasury Committee minutes (1987-1988), Silver Anniversary Committee minutes (2001), Sabbatical Committee minutes (1981-1982), Feel Free Magazine Committee minutes (1980), Music Search Committee minutes (1979), R.R.S.P Committee minutes (1987-1989); Woman's Association minutes (1944-1954), Mother's Own Space and Time correspondence (1984-1987); As One That Serves minutes and reports (1957-1966), Men's Club minutes (1988); Youth group records (1960-1998); Institute For Growth minutes and literarture (1980-1987); Organizational manuals (1962-2001); Worship Service bulletins (1976-2002); Annual financial statements (1989-2000), R.R.S.P. correspondence and dissolution (1986-1992); Buildings and property records (1960); Annual reports (1960-2001); Newsletters (1964-1996); and Church directories (1977-2001).

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Records were transferred directly from Como Lake United Church


    Language of material

    • English

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Box list available. Online Finding Aid

      Associated materials

      Related materials


      Further accruals expected

      Alpha-numeric designations

      BCAUL control number: UCCBC-143

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      COQ CO

      Institution identifier

      Rules or conventions

      Rules for Archival Description



      Level of detail


      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Revised January 28, 2015

      Language of description

      • English

      Script of description


        Accession area