Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Collingwood United Church (Vancouver, B.C.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Collingwood United Church is rooted in St. Andrew’s Presbyterian and Wesley Methodist congregations (now St. Andrew’s-Wesley United Church).
St. Andrew’s church first established a Sunday school at Central Park, which eventually grew into a large congregation. In 1895, the congregation was divided into east and west of Central Park; the west of Central Park organized Collingwood East, St. Andrew’s, whereas those in the east organized Henderson Presbyterian (Burnaby) and Knox Presbyterian (Collingwood District). In 1913, a new building was built at the corner of Joyce and School Streets.
About 1898, Wesley Methodist Church established a mission in Collingwood. Services were conducted in homes, then in Carleton Hall. In 1903, the Methodist church building on Kingsway was completed a short distance east of Joyce Road.
In 1926, Collingwood Methodist and Knox Presbyterian amalgamated to form Collingwood United Church. A year later, the church hall (gymnasium) was constructed. In 1931, the church proper was enlarged and renovated. A new church was built and dedicated in 1957 at the former location of Knox Presbyterian church, Joyce and School Streets. Collingwood joined Fraserview and Wilson Heights in 1995 to form a three point charge. The pastoral charge name was changed to Wilson Heights United Church in 1998, and was recognized as a single point charge.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Rules for Archival Description
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created July 10, 2018