Title and statement of responsibility area
Collections Care, Management and Access fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Architectural drawing
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1948 - 2014 (Creation)
- Collections Care, Management and Access department, Museum of Anthropology at UBC
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Collection’s Care, Management and Access department (CCMA) of the Museum of Anthropology (MOA) was formed April 1, 2015, as part of a larger organizational restructuring. It combined the previously separate Collections Care & Management department and Library & Archives into a single department. The core functions of the former departments remain largely the same: to manage and preserve object, paper and digital collections; to facilitate public, community and academic access; and, to collaborate in the dissemination of knowledge through exhibitions, publications and training. One of the main goals in combining these previously distinct departments into CCMA was to better integrate the digital, archival and object collections (the tangible and intangible aspects of culture) to facilitate access and interpretation.
Members of CCMA also work with other units on UBC’s campus - including the Barber Learning Centre, the Endangered Languages Program and the development of the Truth and Reconciliation Unit – and help mobilize these relationships to assist with the implantation of new language initiatives at MOA.
The Head of CCMA is Heidi Swierenga, who became Head when the department was established in 2015 and remains so to the present (as of 2017).
For more detailed information about each of the areas within CCMA, see the records for Collections, Conservation, and the Audrey & Harry Hawthorn Library and Archives.
List of Past and Current CCMA Staff
• Audrey Hawthorn -- Curator of Ethnology, 1947-1983
• Audrey Shane -- Archivist/Librarian, 1975-1979
-- Curator of Documentation , 1979-1987
• Elizabeth Johnson -- Curator of Collections, 1979 - 1986
-- Curator of Ethnology/Documentation, 1986 - 2006
• Miriam Clavir -- Senior Conservator, 1980-2004
• Mauray Toutloff -- Conservator, 2009 - present (2018)
• Carol Mayer -- Museum curator (various titles), 1987 – present (2018)
-- Librarian (unofficial title), ca. 2000's
• Ann Stevenson -- Collections Manager, 1990- ca. 2003
-- RRN Programme Manager, 2004 - 2005
-- Information Manager , 2006 – present
-- AHHLA Department Head, 2011/2012 - present (2018)
• Allison Cronin -- Assistant Collections Manager, 1990-1996
-- Manager of Loans/Projects, 1996-2003
-- Loan Manager, 2004 - 2005
• Nancy Bruegeman -- Assistant Collections Manager, 1996-2003
-- Acting Collections Manager, ca. 2004-2005
-- Collections Manager, 2005 - present (2018)
• Darrin Morrison -- Preventative Conservation Specialist, 1991 - 1993
-- Project Manager, Conservation, 1993 – ca. 2003
-- Manager Conservation/Design, ca. 2004 - 2005
• Heidi Swierenga -- Collections/Conservation Intern, 1997-1998
-- Assistant Conservator, 2000- ca. 2002
-- Conservator, 2002 – ca.2013
-- Senior Conservator, ca. 2013-present (2018)
-- Collection Care & Management Dept. Head, ca. 2005-2016
-- CCMA Department Head, 2015 - present (2018)
• Susan Buchanan -- Documentation Coordinator/Collections Project Manager, 2004 - 2005
-- Collections and Loans Coordinator, 2005 -2014
-- Department Head, 2010 - 2011
• Candace Beisel -- Collections Technician, 2010-present (2018)
• Teija Dedi -- Acting Collections Research Facilitator, ca. 2012-2014
--Interim Loans Manager, 2014
-- Loans Manager, 2014 – present (2018)
• Caitlin Pilon -- Collections Assistant, 2014 – present (2018)
• Lisa Bruggen-Cate -- Collections Assistant, 2002 – 2005
• Magdalena Moore -- Collections & Loan Coordinator, 2006 – 2007
• Shabnam Honarbakhsh -- Acting Collections & Loans Coordinator, 2009 – 2010
-- Acting Conservator, 2010 – 2011
-- Project Conservator, 2012 - 2013
• Krista Bergstrom -- Collections Assistant, 2006 - 2008
-- Collections Research Facilitator, 2008 – 2016
• Justine Dainard -- Librarian, 2002 – 2005
-- Research Manager (Library), 2006 - 2008
• Krisztina Laszlo -- Archivist, 1999 – 2014
• Shannon LaBelle -- Research Manager (Library), ca. 2009 - 2014
• Alissa Cherry -- Research Manager (Library & Archives), 2014 – present (2018)
• Gerry Lawson -- Oral History & Language Lab Coordinator, 2009 – present (2018)
• Elizabeth McManus - Archivist, 2014 – 2015
• Jessica Bushey -- Digitization Lead, 2006 - 2011
• Kyla Bailey -- Imager, 2007 – present (2018)
Note: In addition to the staff listed above, numerous museum, library, and archives assistants, students, and interns were hired on a short term basis for CCMA work.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records generated by the Collections Care, Management (CCMA) department at the Museum of Anthropology. These records include administrative records and planning material that document the work of the three units within CCMA: Collections, Conservation, and the Audrey & Harry Hawthorn Library and Archives. Record types include policies, loan documentation, acquisition documentation, object evaluations and photographs, conservation notes, teaching and special project files, exhibit planning material, correspondence, budget reports, and meeting minutes.
The fonds is divided into four sous-fonds, one for each of the three units within CCMA, as well as a sous-fonds for general CCMA administrative records:
- Audrey & Harry Hawthorn Library and Archives
- CCMA Administration
Because of changes to the organization of MOA over the years, there are some overlaps in these functions, especially with older material. For example, there are likely some records relevant to conservation in the Collections sous-fonds and vice-versa.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired in multiple internal transfers from CCMA staff.
For the most part, the original order, grouping, and file names of the material as it arrived in the archives has been maintained.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to many of the files in this fonds is restricted to internal museum use only. Consult archivist for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory is available. Consult Museum of Anthropology archivist for details.
Records related to the administration of CCMA functions can also be found in the Directors fonds.
Records related to collections and conservation work can also be found in the Darrin Morrison fonds, Audrey Shane fonds, and Audrey Hawthorn fonds.
Records related to the library and archives can also be found in the Elizabeth Johnson fonds and Audrey Shane fonds.
Further accruals are expected.