Fonds - Cloverdale United Church (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cloverdale United Church (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-2006 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cloverdale United Church (Surrey, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.03 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1925-)

Administrative history

While occasional services had been held in the Cloverdale and Mud Bay area of Surrey since 1875, Presbyterian work in Cloverdale was formally established in 1892, with the construction and dedication of Cloverdale Presbyterian Church. The mission field also included Mud Bay (later called Elgin) and later, Tynehead. Methodist services in the Cloverdale and Mud Bay area were also given occasionally from an early date. In 1891, the first Methodist minister was appointed to the Cloverdale Methodist Circuit and shortly thereafter, a church was built. For some years in the 1890s, the Cloverdale Circuit was related to the Langley Circuit. After the turn of the century, theological students from Columbian Methodist College in New Westminster assisted in the Cloverdale Methodist Church. At the time of church union, Cloverdale Methodist Church and Cloverdale Presbyterian Church joined and became Cloverdale United Church, meeting for the first twenty-five years in the old Presbyterian Church building. They built a larger church which was opened and dedicated in April 1950. The Cloverdale Pastoral Charge also included Hazelmere United Church and Mud Bay (Elgin) United Church, until Elgin United Church was closed in the late 1940s. At present, the Cloverdale Pastoral Charge continues to include Hazelmere United Church.

Name of creator

(1891-1925)

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1892-1925)

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records from Cloverdale Presbyterian Church (Surrey, B.C.), Cloverdale Methodist Church (Surrey, B.C.), Cloverdale United Church (Surrey, B.C.), Mud Bay (Elgin) United Church (Surrey, B.C.) and Hazelmere United Church (Surrey, B.C.). Records include Baptismal registers (1898-1985), Burial registers (1928-1992) and Marriage registers (civil) (1920-1986); Communion roll (1906-1918) and Membership records (1919-1921); Session minutes (1898-1982) and Board of Managers/Stewards minutes (1892-1990), Official Board minutes (1925-1952), Trustees minutes (1899-1904), Congregational Meetings minutes (1892-1954), Christian Education Committee minutes (1965-1978), Congregational Life and Work Committee minutes (1978-1981), Building Fund Account records (1972-1986), Manse Account records (1982-1986) and Memorial Account records (1972-1986); Ladies Aid minutes (1915-1929), Woman's Association Junior Circle minutes (1933-1939), W.A. Senior Circle Treasurer's Book (1945-1961), Woman's Missionary Society Evening Auxiliary minutes (1950-1961), W.M.S. Prayer Circle minutes (1939-1948), United Church Women Alpha Unit (1965-1968), U.C.W. Onward Unit minutes (1975-1991) and U.C.W. Sunshine Unit minutes (1985-1988); Young People's Union minutes (1952-1960) and Treasurer's Book (1952-1954); Congregational financial records (1940-1986); and Annual reports (1958-2006).

Notes area

Physical condition

Good

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were transferred directly from Cloverdale United Church

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available. Online Finding Aid

Associated materials

T.D. Barnett fonds, City of Surrey Archives (Barnett was a minister at Cloverdale United Church)

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-288

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

SUR CL

Institution identifier

United Church of Canada British Columbia Conference Archives

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised January 16, 2014
Revised August 22, 2014

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area