Fonds - Classics Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Classics Club fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1951, 1967-1984 (Creation)
    Creator
    University of British Columbia. Classics Club

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1920-1995)

Administrative history

The UBC Department of Classics initiated the Classics Club for its students in 1920. The first department head, Lemuel Robertson, was the Club’s original sponsor, and meetings were often held in his home – meetings were also held at the homes of Classics professors Harry Logan and O.J. Todd. Club activities included the presentation of papers by faculty and students, productions of Classical Greek plays, and social events. The Club was active through the 1920s and 1930s, then went into hiatus during World War II – it was revived when Logan became head of the department in 1949. It continued to flourish until the 1990s when undergraduate enrolment went into decline. The Club was dissolved in 1995 when the Department of Classics was merged into the Department of Classical, Near-Eastern, and Religious Studies.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of items which illustrate some of the activities of the Classics Club, and includes annual programmes, correspondence, and posters and programmes for productions of Greek plays.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the University Archives by Prof. Robert B. Todd in September 1999.

Arrangement

Stored with University Archives’ vertical files at VF 111.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Administrative history based on information provided by Prof. Todd.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created March 8, 2012

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres