Fonds - Chemainus United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Chemainus United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCCBC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    Chemainus United Church

Physical description area

Physical description

19 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In 1947, a group of Chemainus residents met with representatives of Victoria Presbytery to ask that a United Church be established in Chemainus. The project was soon led by the Duncan United Church Session. By 1949, property had been secured, Trustees were appointed and Chemainus Pastoral Charge was constituted. In 1948, the Duncan Session appointed lay people to lead worship and in 1949, the Home Missions Board appointed a student minister, who took charge of the building project. The sod was turned in August, 1949 and the church was built by volunteer workers over a period of several years. The congregation moved into the new church auditorium in December, 1952. The church was completed and dedicated in September, 1953. Chemainus United Church was part of Victoria Presbytery up to 1959 and of Comox-Nanaimo Presbytery from 1959 to the present. From 1956 to 1965, Chemainus United Church was a part of the Chemainus-Ladysmith Pastoral Charge. Since 1966, it has formed part of the Chemainus-Crofton Pastoral Charge.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Marriage registers (church and civil) (1951-1992) and a Burial register (1950-1996); Session minutes (1949-1993), Official Board minutes (1950-1994) and Congregational meetings minutes (1950-1993).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-273

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres